Monday, April 16, 2012

Kicks

So around 28 weeks  of pregnancy women are supposed to start doing "Kick Counts." This consists of counting the kicks, rolls, swishes, or any other movements their little acrobat is performing. While all doctors and midwives have slightly different approaches the norm seems to be counting the movements twice a day for an hour each sitting. The ideal is to feel the baby move at least 10 times within that one hour period. These "Kick Counts" are supposed to be kept for the remainder of the pregnancy. It gives you a way to gauge your babies movements and be able to tell if something doesn't seem right.

I don't know if Penelope is more active than other babies but I can count 10 movements in less than five minutes, no need for that whole hour. She does karate punches at my stomach, back flips, somersaults, and plenty of rolling around. I love when she moves but let me tell you it is creepy! I can watch my stomach move on its own, it reminds me of Aliens, or that part from Space Balls when the alien crawls out of the guys stomach (Watch the clip HERE). That's definitely going to give me pregnancy nightmares. While it doesn't usually hurt, it doesn't feel good either, mostly uncomfortable. Especially when she kicks at my sides where there is less padding. Ouch! It mostly just feels like I don't have enough room for her in there for her to be doing the type of gymnastics she wants to do. Already testing her mothers limits. I keep telling Aaron I am secretly having Chuck Norris' and Jackie Chan's baby but for some reason he doesn't believe me. Whenever Aaron calls me out for having Third Trimester Rage, he always follows it with a command for Penelope to kick me. "Get her Penelope, get her!"    

2 comments: