Saturday, April 21, 2012

Gestational Diabetes

During our last group Centering session it was my turn to take the Glucose Test. It is a test given at 28 weeks of pregnancy that tests for Gestational Diabetes. Our midwife told us that they can never predict who gets Gestational Diabetes or who doesnt. Sometimes, she said, its the most fit woman who pays attention to her diet. I wasn't worried I would test positive until she said that. Then the worry set in. I don't want there to be even the slightest possibility of having to give birth at a hospital.

The test consisted of a flavored fizzy drink that I had to drink in less than 5 minutes.  I then had to wait an hour and have my blood drawn for tests. I'd heard from a lot of women that the drink made them sick due to being packed with sugar. But I really liked mine! It was orange flavored and tasted just like the orange soda I would drink as a kid. After a while though, it did make it feel a little lightheaded and woozy.

The nurse said no news is good news and since its been over a week I think its safe to assume I tested negative for Gestational Diabetes. HALLELUJAH! While I will always find something to worry about, at least this is one less thing.

2 comments: