Monday, March 5, 2012

Pink Pandemic

Since finding out we are having a girl we've only been to 2 baby stores and only bought 2 little one-pieces. Both of which are gender neutral. We have held back a lot on purchasing clothes mostly due to financial reasons but also because I am unsure of sizing and everything (I mean EVERYTHING) is pink. Ugh, the dreaded pink.

We inherited a wonderful bag of clothes from a friend of mine who has a beautiful little girl but the clothes seems so small to me. Most of the tags say "3 months or 8 to 12.5 lbs," how is that 3 month sizing? I weighed 8 lbs. 11 ounces when I was born and Aaron weighed almost 10 lbs. Am I going to give birth to a 3 month old baby? Yes, I am almost certain (my poor woman parts). I feel like I should just start off skipping the entire Newborn clothing section. Maybe buy a few 3 month pieces but buy the bulk of it in 6 month sizing. Do they have a giant baby section? Or we could just hold off until she is born, that way we know what hugeness we are dealing with, I could send Aaron out to purchase clothes for our naked baby (we basically have the same taste in clothing, hence our many unplanned matching outfits).

It seems to me that once the words "baby girl" are uttered a sea of rainbows, unicorns, pink clouds and ruffles fill every one's minds. I don't get it. I am a girl (rockin' 5 inch heels, makeup and a lifetime supply of skin care products) and I don't wear pink. Ever. Its not that I hate the color, it just isn't something I am attracted to. Aaron always teases me that if its grey or black Ill love it, doesn't matter what it is. And that has some truth to it, my closet is 95% grey or black. I cant help it. I love color, just in moderation and usually not on me. So how do we go about navigating our way through oceans of pink? We skip over it, that's how. Cringing every step of the way. Baby girl clothes made without pink do exist, I have seen it with my own two eyes, it is no myth. It sure as hell takes a lot more time and digging through racks but the anti-pink rewards are oh so grand. Here are some outfits Aaron and I have purchased online that we think are just too cute for words, the best part being...NO PINK!



This is her little Michael Jackson 'Thriller' Jacket, she'll wear this with a white v-neck, little black leggings and Converse shoes! A-dorable! Sure to inspire outrageous dance moves.
This is a little jumper I couldn't resist. I keep picturing her chubby little legs and arms squeezing out of this, of course this puts a huge smile on my face.


Appreciation of great American literature, the small print says "Sometimes you just have to pee in a sink" and really who hasn't been there?


 Her little raincoat that she'll wear when we go jumping in the puddles. It will never be this clean again.



 Of course she has to represent the Jazz Era as well.


Forget My Little Pony, everyone needs a Beastie Boys t-shirt, especially every little girl.


4 comments: