Tuesday, March 20, 2012

"Are you pregnant?"

It took a lot longer than I expected for strangers to start verbally acknowledging my pregnant belly. I think its because people don't want to ask and then have it turn out I'm not pregnant, just plump. But lets be real, Id have to drink massive amounts of beer for a stomach this size to appear from my body. The majority of my interaction with the public is while working.  Here I wear all black, and while I look definitely pregnant, black can be a slimming color.

The first stranger to say anything about my pregnancy was a couple that I was waiting on during dinner. As I walk up to them to bring them their sushi the woman blurts out "I just have to ask, are you pregnant?" I was so caught off guard that I'm sure I got all red and I stuttered "Yeaa" She then looks over to her husband and says "See I told you so" as I awkwardly stand there.  What the hell was I supposed to say to that? Thanks? Being a woman herself I at least expected a "Congratulations" from her, but no, just proving a point to her husband who thought I was just fat, or had a tumor. I was disappointed the first verbal acknowledgement of my little Penelope was so awkward and rude.

Going to a small Catholic private college I expected to get stares, nasty looks and people yelling "SINNER" while throwing holy water on me as I walked to and from classes. Not really, but its funny to picture it.  But seriously I am at least 5 years older than everyone else in my classes so I was expecting curiosity stares, which I am now starting to get. The other day the girl who sits next to me in one of my classes leaned over and ask how far along I was, once again I wasn't used to people asking so I replied "What? Oh yea, I'm 24 weeks." She then told me that her son is 18 months and the light of her life. I was so surprised and happy to find out there were 2 sinners at my school and I just so happen to be sitting next to the other one  :)

More and more people are beginning to notice and ask when my due date is. And I'm getting less awkward and more used to answering this question. Yesterday, a woman at Costco told me congratulations and said not to be scared while stating she had five kids. Such a sweet woman.

Why is it that we always remember the bad or rude experiences and not the nice ones? Stupid "I told you so" woman.



No comments:

Post a Comment