Saturday, June 9, 2012

Acupuncture

After suffering the past few weeks with sciatica I decided to try acupuncture, as recommended by Aaron and my midwife. I have been to 3 appointments now and the difference is astounding. While I still waddle around, it is now due to the weight of my giant belly and not to the shooting pain down my back and butt region.

I had never gotten acupuncture before so I was unsure of what to expect. I found a great little place through Yelp called South Austin Community Acupuncture. The community aspect of it made it seem a little "hippie-ish" at first but the sliding scale pricing couldn't be beat so I figured Id give it a try. I read a bunch of reviews to get some idea of what to expect upon my first visit. Most patients met with the Acupuncturist in a private room to discuss why they were there and to come up with a plan of action. Then the patients were taken to a big room with five or six recliners for their actual treatment. Thus the community part. Since most of the acupuncture points are on the knees and elbows there was no need for laying down in individual rooms. This is what keeps their costs down, while affording us poor folk the luxury of their services. Their slogan is "I Sleep With Strangers at South Austin Community Acupuncture"...cute.

Two weeks ago I was able to make my first appointment online. Thank god for online services like these, what did we ever do without them? I had been up all night long with that damn shooting pain. Finally at 6am I made my way to the couch, hobbling and crying. I was able to schedule an appointment for that afternoon. While still in a lot of pain, I hoped I had found the light at the end of the tunnel, a dark painful giant Penelope tunnel. When I got to my appointment I had to fill out the usual medical paperwork. After, I was greeted by Wally, the owner and acupuncturist, and he ushered me into a private room. We discussed my ailment and he quickly began his needle poking skill. Because I have sciatica, which is specifically located in the lower back to butt area I was given my own room. No community aspect to my treatments. While this was mainly for my comfort level I doubt any of the other patients want to be subjected to my giant naked pregnant butt. After the first appointment my sciatica was reduced to more of a sore pain as opposed to a knife stabbing one.

Ive been back twice since then and things have gotten substantially better. Yesterday I walked around all day doing errands and my back didn't start hurting until later in the evening. I call that success. Who knows maybe I can start working more now?! Now that I'm officially 9 months pregnant I want to start working more, somehow I think I am a little backwards. But that's me...always just a little off.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that sound aweful!

    At first I was like, I can't believe she can still model super preggos. What a bitch! (not really a bitch but, who can really still do that.)

    Then I read this, and I was like okay. She has her battle scars. I have enjoyed your little blog Emma. You are going to be such a good mommy, anyone who is this excited about her baby will have a very lucky little girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily!
      I definitely have had a very easy pregnancy, sciatica is nothing compared to what other women deal with. I am very thankful for my health!

      Keep an eye out for more maternity photos in the next couple weeks ;)

      Delete
  2. So how's your back now, Emma? Is it still hurting? Maybe it's a bit cold in the evening that's why you started to feel the pain again. It's a good thing that you've tried the acupuncture treatment. This will really help circulate your chi energy, relieving you from pain caused by sciatica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My back surprisingly feels pretty good now. I havent had acupuncture in a little over a week. I think the new found relief has come from Penelope dropping into my pelvis. Her giant body is no longer hanging out on top of my sciatic nerve!!

      Delete
  3. Hello, Emma. I hope your back continues to feel good. It's been almost 5 months now. Have there been any changes on how you feel? If ever you feel something, even just a slight kick of pain, you should undergo again the acupuncture treatment. Well, it’s just to prevent the pain in causing you more trouble.

    ReplyDelete