Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Weight Talk

Obviously, pregnancy is new to me. I didn't know anything at all when I began this journey and I still feel as if Ive only brushed the surface of information available. There are so many differing views, so many options, beliefs, etc. But there is one thing that really stands out, something I was not expecting to be a hot topic of pregnancy whatsoever, the dreaded weight discussion.

I mentioned before that I read pregnancy forms, not actively participating however. I stick with two that are available as free apps on my phone, Baby Center and What to Expect. I browse through the posts once every few days, just to see if anything relates to my pregnancy, which it usually doesn't.  After 7 months of browsing through these I can safely say that the most talked about subject on these forums is weight. How much weight have you gained? Have I gained too much weight? Do I need to gain more? The responses to these posts turn into a 'who has gained the least amount of weight?' contest. Women who gain very few pounds are then congratulated and put on a perfect-pregnancy-body pedestal. It saddens me that even through pregnancy, a time when gaining weight is necessary, the main focus women have is the number on the scale. Forget about growing a happy, healthy baby. All pregnant women are going to gain weight differently. It all depends on body type and nutrition levels. A heavier woman might have less weight to gain than the woman who was underweight to begin with and needed to catch up on calorie intake.

Also related is the never ending discussion of celebrities and their post-baby bodies. How fast did Angelina Jolie lose the pregnancy weight? Jessica Alba was back in a bikini 4-weeks after delivery! This constant emphasis placed on post-pregnancy thinness takes away from the importance of psychological as well as physical health after delivery. It seems to me pregnancy has become a contest of who can gain the least amount of weight and then lose that weight the quickest once the pregnancy has ended. Aren't there more important things to worry about? Like spending time with your infant and family. Nutrition and fitness are extremely important, don't get me wrong, but they are important for reasons other than getting back into your bikini. They are important for your health and overall well-being.

As a society we are failing women, once again. Lets reroute the unhealthy thin emphasis and place it on nutrition, health and family. Topics which are much more deserving of our time.

No comments:

Post a Comment