Thursday, May 24, 2012

Goodbye Sleep

Its 6am and I am awake, with no possibility of going back to sleep. Not because I'm not tired or don't want to but because my aching body wont let me. During pregnancy women are to sleep on their sides, not on the stomach for obvious reasons and not on the back because the added weight puts pressure on spine, intestines, and major blood vessels. Before I got pregnant I was a back sleeper. Since then I have been using a large pregnancy pillow designed to help keep me from rolling onto my back. It worked pretty well until about a few weeks ago. 

Now I can only be in one position for a short amount of time, then my hips and shoulders start aching. Aching is such a mild word to use, I think excruciating pain gives a more accurate description. Once this happens I automatically wake up and the task of flipping over to the other side must begin. It is not an easy task. I have to maneuver the giant belly with me as I slowly turn, grunting and moaning the entire time. Then all the damn pillows must be put back into place. Ugh! Its exhausting. Poor Penelope, she gets tousled from one side to another. I can always feel her move after I switch positions, she is getting situated as well. 

My nights of 10 hour sleeps are officially over, for the rest of my life. I honestly didn't think this would begin until Penelope was actually born. While I still have another 6-8 weeks, she needs to bake as long as possible, I am more than thrilled at the idea of having my body back. I shall lay on my stomach, and my back and have a grand ol' time! (Of course, while waking up every 2-3 hours to feed my giant Penelope).

No comments:

Post a Comment