Friday, February 17, 2012

Montessori Nursery vs. Traditional Nursery

I have been using all my mental and physical energy on being pregnant and just getting through the day.  While most days I feel completely normal, days like yesterday simply kick my ass and remind me of my limitations.  This is why I have elected Aaron to plan for our child's future education, mostly there was no electing however, he finds this extremely interesting while I find eating healthy and sleeping to be my main focuses.  Education is Aaron's main focus when it comes to our little nugget, and since it should begin at dayone, I am thrilled he has taken it upon himself to research, and research and research.  How does this relate to our future nursery you might ask? Well, apparently, to my surprise it completely changes it. 

The Montessori education has become Aaron's education of choice, he reads books, and summarizes them for me, otherwise I'd probably just fall asleep.  When he explained to me how a "Montessori" nursery looks I gave him the most disgusted look, you want our baby to sleep on a mattress on the floor? All I could picture was those extreme poverty photos we see on National Geographic, with dirty mattress placed on mud floors.  (Side Note: When the baby is an infant it sleeps in a Moses basket on the mattress, after a few months it sleeps on the bed by itself, the bed isnt that high off the ground so if they roll off they wont get hurt but will learn the boundaries of their own bed.  Also, we've seen a lot of nurseries with rugs under the bed to cushion the fall which is probably what we will end up doing.  End Side Note.) But once I got a more modern visual approach I thought it was the cutest thing ever. Here is a little comparison of the 2 types of nurseries in debate:  

 

I didn't give much thought to the nursery before because I had a traditional nursery pictured in my mind with a crib, changing table, dresser and glider (I didn't know other options existed).  So when I saw the other option I was completely thrown off, even after thoughts of dirty mattresses left my mind.  I am not going to lie it took some time to come around to the idea of the Montessori nursery.  Its just so different.  But now the traditional nursery seems more aesthetically pleasing to an adult but as a child I would totally want to explore and play in the Montessori room.  And who are we really making this room for? Here are a couple of pictures from Sew Liberated a blog I have recently started to follow, she is a Montessori teacher, and gave a tour of her nursery with great explanations as to why things are placed the way they are placed and so forth.





I am so in love with this room (except the potty area, which we will be omitting from our nursery).  Its so clean and simple yet looks like a lot of fun for our baby.  I am really interested to hear what others think of this nursery! Have you ever seen this before? Do you know someone who is raising their children in this manner? Dont you just want to crawl around and explore?!

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations. We are so happy for you. I am feeling a little old. I can't possibly have a babysitter who is having her own baby..
    I hope you enjoy this special time!!
    Nursery thoughts.. you have a nice sweet quiet Emma who sits and colors all day happly plays with post a notes for hours at a time. perfect. You have a Willie going 24/7 form 1 year on. You will neeed containment!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you! We really enjoyed your Christmas card, what a great idea. We are so excited and cant wait to meet our little monster in July. Next time we are in Seattle we will have a baby in tow and will definetly have to stop by and say Hello. Im pretty sure Willie and Patrick are taller than I am, crazy how the time flies.

      Delete
  2. I am so impressed that you & Aaron are so doing to educate yourselves about parenting. I have heard some good things about Montessori schools but never knew they had a nursery. Since you asked for input, I vote for a combination of the two styles. You could keep the clean simple lines but the Public Health Nurse and practical experienced mom parts of me thinks that having a bed that will safely contain an infant is really important. There will be lots of opportunities for you & Aaron to give your baby supervised time to safely crawl around and explore their environment.

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! This whole Montessori thing is something I would have never known even existed if Aaron wasnt really into researching our future nugget's education. Its really quite interesting. We will be doing a combination of Montessori and our style for the nursing, we havent figured it all out yet. We will be moving into a 2 bedroom about a month after the baby is born so the nursery wont exist until then. Thanks again!

      Delete
  3. I hate it when I don't see the mistakes until after I hit send. Should read " I am so impressed that you & Aaron are doing so much to ...

    Jim came in and distracted me. It's all his fault. He says 'Hi."

    MJ

    ReplyDelete