Tuesday, February 14, 2012

All Natural

If you would have told me a year ago I would be pregnant and opting for a natural childbirth I would have told you that you were out of your mind! But here we are...

I am not seeing a typical Ob-Gyn during my pregnancy, I am seeing a group of midwives at Austin Area Birthing Center.  I am only having 1 ultrasound, for the anatomical scan (exactly 1 week from today!), and we decided against any and all tests available.  I will be going through labor and the birthing process in a birthing suite, not a hospital room. I will not be receiving drugs of any kind.

When I tell people this, they think I am crazy and tell me to reconsider but this is something Aaron and I feel very passionately about.  Ironically 3 months before finding out we were pregnant we watched The Business of Being Born (you can stream it on Netflix), what makes it even more amazing is Ricki Lake! I had never considered a natural birth before watching this documentary, I thought they were for weirdo's and hippies with long flowy hair who didn't shave their legs.  Even though I couldn't physically relate to the documentary at that time it struck a chord within me.  Fast forward a few months and suddenly I can relate (funny how things like that happen).  Also if your interested, check out Pregnant in America (free on Hulu), its basically the same thing but formatted in a different style, filmed by a man and his wife as they become first time parents (no Ricki Lake in this one though, sad).

Call me the crazy hippie lady (at least I shave...sometimes) but this is something I have to experience for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment