Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Breast Feeding Hurdle

Breast feeding has been...well... a challenge.  Before Penelope was born we took a breast feeding class through the birth center but breast feeding is one of those things that needs to be experienced before you actually know what anyone is talking about.  All the stuff we learned in the breast feeding class was quickly forgotten as soon as Penelope entered our lives.  Maybe it was the sleep deprivation, or the exhausted state my body was in.  I wish we could have taken the class shortly after giving birth to Penelope...I like to think things would have been a little easier then.  But who knows. 

Getting the perfect latch is the key to successful breast feeding.  I could explain the exact positioning that both mother and baby need to be in but it does no good if you don't have an actual baby to practice with.  It would go in one ear and right out of the other, just like it did with us.  

Up until one week ago I dreaded feeding our giant Penelope.  Every time she cried from hunger I got this sinking feeling in my stomach...why, oh why was she doing this to me?  I heard breast feeding was supposed to be this magical bonding experience between mother and baby yet I usually ended up in tears.  Every time she latched on I yelled in pain while clenching my toes and my one free fist.  This went on for exactly three weeks.  Penelope would cry from hunger and I would cry from the horrific pain.  These were not good times.

Just when I thought I couldn't take it anymore the pain virtually vanished.  Thank you breast feeding gods! Its been a week now, a whole week without tears! I don't cringe at the thought of feeding my baby, I actually look forward to it.  Penelope has also gained 9.5 ounces in the last week.  Coincidence? I think not! 

No comments:

Post a Comment