Thursday, August 30, 2012

Pump Pump Pump It Up!

Since I am exclusively breast feeding while attending school and working buying a pump was mandatory, at least this is what Penelope tells me.  Fortunately I was able to purchase a really nice one made by Medela.  Click here to check it out.  While it may seem pricey I cant imagine buying a pump of lesser quality, especially since I use it frequently.  It is completely worth the upfront costs, plus Ill be able to use it for Penelope's future siblings. 
 
I actually started pumping before I was "supposed" too.  They (who knows who "they" are) say you aren't supposed to introduce a bottle until 4-6 weeks to minimize nipple confusion.  Penelope got her first bottle between weeks 2-3 and has never had any problem going between the bottle and breast.  Hungry little hippo.  Originally I did not want to pump and give her a bottle so soon but at the time breast feeding was excruciatingly painful.  At times it was probably worse than labor.  So I pumped every 2 hours for a whole day and Aaron fed it to her in a bottle to give my nipples a break.  I am so glad I finally gave in and did it.  My nipples thanked me.

Pumping has also given me a few extra hours of sleep on a couple of occasions.  On nights when Penelope is up every hour or two Aaron is able to give her a bottle while I lay blissfully asleep.  Plus giving her a bottle takes around 15 minutes and nursing her is usually 40 minutes.  However this rarely happens.  We have a rule that if I am in the house Penelope is not allowed a bottle, unless of course during dire circumstances such as the one listed above.  I prefer to breast feed her as much as possible.  There are already too many occasions in which I am away that the bottle is necessary.

Being a server I don't necessarily get "breaks" during work, I work straight through.  I was a little worried about when I would pump but my friend suggested I pump in the car to and from work.  So I pump and drive.  It may sound weird but I have a system and it works perfectly.  I made myself a "hands-free" pumping bra by cutting 2 holes in an old sports bra.  This allows me to have both hands while driving.  I use my Hooter Hider nursing cover so the rest of the world doesn't see what I am really doing while driving.  By doing all of this I am able to pump on the way to and from work.  It works perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment